Levins Tax Law
Schedule your initial consultation:

Tax Controversies Archives

Offer in compromise may help struggling taxpayers

Not being able to pay a bill can easily trigger a panic response in any Massachusetts resident. For some individuals, the bill that they cannot pay is their tax obligation, and unfortunately, this could lead to serious issues with the Internal Revenue Service. If a person is facing such a pressing matter and is unable to pay the outstanding balance in full, looking into applying for an offer in compromise may be an option.

Unhappy with your tax audit results? Appeal

Very rarely do tax audits result in taxpayers receiving refunds or having no change to their tax filings. Usually, Massachusetts residents who go through the audit process get word that they owe more in taxes and have to pay interest and penalties on top of it. Thankfully, those who are unhappy with their audit results may appeal.

Is there a statute of limitations on tax audits?

One of the biggest fears Massachusetts residents have when they submit their tax returns is that they'll end up being audited. No one wants to go through that, but, without fail, every year, a small percentage of people get the news that they have been selected for tax audits. Keeping good records is something people can do that is simple and can help them through the audit process, but how long should records be kept?

Tax audits do not have to scare taxpayers

Many Massachusetts residents likely let out a sigh of relief when they finally filed their tax returns. For some, that relief may have been short-lived as they received a notice from the Internal Revenue Service about an audit. Before panicking, it is important that individuals understand that not all tax audits are the same and that some can be easy to resolve.

What you need to know about an Offer in Compromise

The stress that comes along with having tax debt one cannot pay can be overwhelming. Unfortunately, that stress is something numerous Massachusetts residents are feeling right now as many are struggling financially -- for various reasons. The last thing anyone wants is to increase how much they owe the government by accruing interest, fees and other penalties for failing to pay their taxes. Thankfully, relief options are available to those who end up with tax bills they cannot afford to pay at all or all at once. An Offer in Compromise is one such option. 

What the IRS may do about unfiled tax returns

Most Massachusetts residents would agree that they do not want to owe money to the government. Some people will avoid that possibility by not even filing their taxes. The problem with that is that when people have unfiled tax returns, they could fail to receive refunds or end up on the IRS's radar for unpaid taxes. While one of those options may not be so bad, failing to meet this financial obligation could prove expensive.

Considering back taxes and bankruptcy as a debt relief option

Massachusetts residents probably do not like owing money to anyone, but unfortunately, it seems to be a fact of life, especially during the current circumstances. If you find yourself in this predicament, you may owe back taxes along with other debt you cannot pay, and you may have questions about taxes and bankruptcy and wonder if it could help in your situation. The problem is that you heard that taxes cannot be discharged through bankruptcy, but is that always the case?

There is no need to face tax collection cases alone

There is no way around the fact that the Internal Revenue Service has a great deal of power. When it comes to tax collection cases initiated against people across the country and here in Massachusetts, the agency can do more than just assess penalties and interest. The IRS can even conduct criminal investigations that could threaten the freedom of the taxpayers in its sights.

Email Us For a Response

Resolve Your Tax Problems

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Framingham Office
1671 Worcester Road
Suite 304
Framingham, MA 01701

Framingham Tax Law Office

Boston Office
38 Newbury Street
6th Floor
Boston, MA 02116

Boston Tax Law Office

By Appointment Only