Levins Tax Law
Schedule your initial consultation:

Did you receive a CP2000 from the IRS?

In the wake of tax season, taxpayers can receive a variety of notices from the Internal Revenue Service. How you respond when you get such a notice can be very important. One of the most common types of notices is IRS Notice CP2000. Today we will go over some CP2000 basics.

What is a CP2000?

These notices are IRS proposals for a change in your taxes, they are not bills. Often, the IRS will send such a proposal out if they spot discrepancies between the income you reported and the income information sent in by third parties.

What are your response options?

You have two options for responding to a CP2000. One is to agree with the tax change proposed in the notice. The other is to disagree, and thus challenge the proposed change. The form will give instructions on how to proceed with these two response options.

Generally, the deadline for responding is 30 days.

If you disagree with the proposed change

If you decide to respond to the notice by challenging the proposed change, you generally need to do more than just say you disagree. When you return the notice and indicate your disagreement, you are to include:

  • An explanation of why you don’t think the change is appropriate.
  • Documentation supporting your claims.

What explanation and documentation you include can impact how the IRS will respond to your challenge.

What if the IRS decides it doesn’t agree with your challenge? It will then generally send a different notice out to you. That will then bring another set of decisions before you.

You can reach out for help

The decisions you make when responding to IRS notices can have major implications. So, having the full picture of the situation can be important when deciding what to do. You can bring in help to make sure you have this picture right. If you have questions about an IRS notice or about your options for responding to or challenging proposals or accusations made by the IRS, it can be wise to take the questions to a professional, such as a tax lawyer.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Resolve Your Tax Problems

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Framingham Office
1671 Worcester Road
Suite 304
Framingham, MA 01701

Framingham Tax Law Office

Boston Office
38 Newbury Street
6th Floor
Boston, MA 02116

Boston Tax Law Office

By Appointment Only